Thursday, June 27, 2013

Proper posting or a 'Pinterest Pastor'?

So I stumbled across this article today about ‘Pinterest Pastors’ and had to read it.  Now upfront, I’ll say that I do not have a pinterest account and my familiarity with it comes entirely from my mother in law, who has an undying love for it and routinely shares recipes or other ideas with my wife and I.  My wife uses it to collect ideas like a virtual mood board when she’s designing shows, but that’s about it. 

That said, I think that the concerns that are raised about how pinterest can inspire both boasting and feelings of jealousy are well taken and I think that they apply to social media in general.  Depending on how we use social media, we can feel guilty and get depressed because our friends are all off at the beach or traveling the European countryside while we’re back home in the office for just another day. 

Or, we are always posting super trips we’re going on, talking about ourselves, and some more about ourselves, and then even more about ourselves before we wrap up the day with a post about ourselves. 
And really, nobody likes either person.  Both are so curved in on themselves (thanks, St Augustine!) that they can’t really participate in the outside world in a meaningful way. 

But, and here is the key thing, their biggest mistake is that they are not listening to others.  Their social media connections become a megaphone instead of a walkie-talkie.  They are lacking in balance.  While we don’t want to be a lurker, we don’t want to be the 500 foot billboard that blots out the sky.

So instead we need to listen, to hear what our friends are saying, be supportive of them, share our own stories, but not in a boastful way, and then listen some more. 

My wife says that when she is teaching theatrical design she will ask the students what the first three steps of the design process are.  She receives a variety of suggestions, but correct answer is to ‘read the script.  2. Read the script. And 3. Read the script.’  In social media the three primary rules are: Listen; listen; and listen. 

Then you can speak.

Are you a pinterest pastor?  (or a pinterest lay person?)

8 comments:

  1. amen! (I think I can get away with not much longer a comment, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that you introduced me to the idea of leader as a facilitator and the large degree that listening plays in performing that role, yes!

      Delete
  2. I am definitely not a pinterest anything! There are so many applications for your wife's design process example, but I really like your social media response of listen, listen, listen! I remain challenged to communicate using social media for the very reasons you have stated. Why would someone want to listen to me? However, if Jesus had a blog I would read it. Perhaps my approach needs to be communicating what I believe Jesus has to say to us today. And once I communicate that I must listen, listen, listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if Jesus had a blog it would get shut down for being entirely too revolutionary, but it would definitely be interesting. But I think you've got a great idea; just communicating what we see God doing in our lives or in the world around us is an excellent way to start conversations, and it is reminder that God is still very much active in the world.

      Delete
  3. Listen. Listen. Listen. Sage advice, indeed, Jonathan. Your reference to St. Augustine and the topic of your post fit well with today's "Verse and Voice" page from Sojourners.

    Today's voice:

    The way to Christ is first through humility, second through humility, third through humility. If humility does not precede and accompany and follow every good work we do, if it is not before us to focus on, if it is not beside us to lean upon, if it is not behind us to fence us in, pride will wrench from our hand any good deed we do at the very moment we do it. -Augustine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen and hear - excellent points! How can I listen if I'm telling? How can I hear, if I'm just waiting to say what I'm thinking while you're talking. I constantly remind myself to keep a finger in one ear while others are talking (that way, what they say doesn't just flow through uninterrupted by the absorption process.)

    Oh, no, I am not a Pinterest Pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jonathan! In general, we need to listen more and talk less (not just in social media). I find Facebook to be largely self-centered and 'me' focused. However, it could easily be a place to spread positive messages as well. I have been introduced to some of the best blog posts or inspiring videos through my Facebook timeline. This is a constant challenge for me to use Facebook as an influential tool and not just as a means to tell others what I am up to today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonathan, I really liked this post and I agree that even when we are using social media we need to listen to what people are saying. Sometimes that's the only clue as to what is really going on in their lives and it gives us the opportunity to let them know that we care about what they think. Posting blogs on Facebook has helped me become aware that I need to take a closer look at what others post instead of sometimes passing it over because it takes too much time. Doing so can give me an inside look at what might be important to that person or how they are feeling at that moment in their lives.

    ReplyDelete